top of page

The coronavirus has been especially brutal in black communities. The reasons why are layered and complex but they all have one thing in common, they are systemic. 

Black Americans have a greater likelihood of working jobs that put them on the frontline, decreased access to health care that starts them out with more illness, and crowded living conditions that facilitates the virus spread. Poverty equates to poor health and let's not forget the very real racial disparities (simply put - racism), that we face when we seek medical care. All of these things have played a deadly role in how this virus has ravaged the Black community.  The question is, what are we going to do about it?  

Gideon's Army and McGruder Family Resource Center has been working on the front lines to address these issues and more in North Nashville long before Covid 19 made it front page news.  We are the credible messengers , the truth tellers, the activist and advocates for our community.  We have been here and we always will be.

In response to Covid 19, we are providing immediate emergency financial support, but more importantly we are building a strategic long term coalition and a plan to ensure the challenges we face aren't forgotten when the news cycle shifts to something new. It is time to stop being reactive, and be proactive about the future of North Nashville. Will you join us?  

For immediate financial assistance with bill payments due to loss wages as a result of Covid 19, please click the green button below to submit a request. 

Covid Resources


  • The Tennessee Department of Health Services (State-Wide) can provide up to two months of emergency cash assistance to families. To be eligible, applicants must:

    • Have been employed as of March 11, 2020 and have since lost employment or at least 50% of income as a result of COVID-19

    • Households must include a child under the age of 18 or a pregnant woman

    • Have a valid Social Security Number

    • Must not have resources exceeding $2000

    • Other income restrictions do apply

    Click here to learn more and/or to apply. Applicants can call 833.496.0661 to learn the status of their application, including approval or denial and how much money the approved family can expect to receive. This assistance is available in addition to any unemployment benefits the family may be receiving.

  • Metro Action Commission (Davidson County) can provide emergency financial assistance to customers who have had a loss of income within the last 60 days. This program provides financial assistance for mortgage, rent, water, prescriptions, special diet food, medical supplies, and delinquent property taxes. Income restrictions do apply. Please call 615.862.8860 to make an appointment. Applications can be found here. Metro Action Commission can also assist with Energy Assistance (electric, gas, propane, etc.) for Davidson County residents. Income requirements do apply. Click here to learn more and/or apply. Please call 615.862.8860 for assistance.

  • The Internal Revenue Service will begin issuing Economic Income Payments throughout April. These payments will be distributed automatically with no action required for most people. However, some seniors and others who typically do not file returns will need to submit a simple tax return to receive the stimulus payment. For more information about Economic Income Payments, please click here and here. Please protect yourself from fraud - the IRS will NOT call, text, or email you asking you to verify or provide your financial information so you can get your payment faster. Never provide your direct deposit or other banking information for others to enter on your behalf. If you have questions, go to for the most up-to-date information.



  • Bartenders: The USBG National Charity Foundation offers a Bartender Emergency Assistance Program for Bartenders, or the spouse or child of a Bartender. Recipients of the Fund must be or have been employed in the Bartending industry for no less than one year, and must be able to provide documentation of emergency hardship. Click here for more information and/or to apply.

  • Assistance for Filmmakers (Davidson County): is available through the Nashville Filmmakers Guild Film Action Fund. Filmmakers who have experienced partial or total wage loss due to COVID-19 are eligible to apply. Click here to learn more and/or apply.

  • Licensed Beauty Professionals: The Professional Beauty Association’s PBA COVID-19 Relief Fund will provide $500 to licensed beauty professionals who are unable to work due to COVID-19. Click here for more information/to apply.

  • Musicians: MusiCares can provide financial assistance to those in the music industry who have lost income due to the cancellation of scheduled gigs or performances due to COVID-19. Click here for more information and/or to apply.

  • Musicians: Music Health Alliance provides direct cost assistance for music professionals with the following immediate needs: 1) Health Insurance Monthly Premiums; 2) Medication; 3) Food/Formula/Diapers; 4) COVID-19 Testing/Doctor Visit. Click here to access their COVID-19/Tornado Relief Grant Application.

  • Restaurant and/or Bar Workers: Southern Smoke’s Emergency Relief Program provides emergency funding to those employed by, or in ownership of, restaurants or bars. Click here for more information and/or to apply.


  • McGruder Family Resource Center food pantry.  Call (615) 291-4513.

  • Second Harvest has food box and food pantry sites available throughout Middle Tennessee. Click here to use your zip code to find food available near you.

  • The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) provides nutritional assistance benefits to children and families, the elderly, the disabled, unemployed and working families. Click here to apply. If you need assistance with this site because you have a disability or don’t speak English, please call the Family Assistance Service Center at 866.311.4287. After the recorded message, you will reach an operator who can provide you with an interpreter.

  • The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) provides supplemental foods, health care referrals and nutrition education to pregnant, breastfeeding and non-breastfeeding postpartum women, and to infants and children up to age five. Income restrictions apply. New and/or current WIC recipients can call your local county health department or 1.800.DIAL.WIC. Click here to find a WIC clinic in your area.

  • Metro Nashville Public Schools is providing breakfast and lunch to anyone under the age of 18 every weekday while schools are closed. Meals will be available for pickup between 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Children must be present to collect the meals. For a list of pick-up locations, please click here. Meals will also be available at several MNPS school bus stops. MNPS school buses will be delivering meals to select locations.

  • Martha O’Bryan Center has a Food Pantry located at 711 S. 7th St. Nashville, TN 37206 and is open Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Please stay in your car upon arrival; volunteers will come to you.​

  • West Nashville Dream Center provides food to those in need throughout West Nashville (37208 and 37209) Monday through Saturday. There are no eligibility requirements to receive assistance. Click here and scroll to the bottom to find exact times and locations for food distribution.

  • COVID Help Nashville connects individuals with a volunteer who is able to grocery shop, pick up medications, and/or run errands for those who are worried or unable to leave their homes. The volunteer will pick up your groceries or medications and drop them off to you with no contact. The delivery is free but those utilizing the service are responsible for payment of their groceries or other items. To receive assistance, please email or call 615.447.8260.


  • Internet Essentials Free to New Customers: Low-income families who live in a Comcast service area are encouraged to sign-up for Internet Essentials, the nation’s largest and most comprehensive broadband adoption program. Now, new customers will receive 60 days of complimentary Internet Essentials service. Additionally, for all new and existing Internet Essentials customers, the speed of the program’s Internet service was increased to 25 Mbps downstream and 3 Mbps upstream. To apply, go to

  • AT&T is offering free public wi-fi for 60 days. Click here.

  • Save money on phone or broadband service with Lifeline. You are eligible for Lifeline benefits if you receive SNAP, Medicaid, SSI, Veteran’s or Survivor’s pension. Income limitations apply. For more information, please call 615.666.2151.


  • [Unemployment benefits][32] are made available through taxes paid by your former employer(s) to partially replace your regular earnings and help you meet expenses while you look for another job. These benefits are intended to assist workers who lost their jobs through no fault of their own and are not based on financial need. To register for unemployment, please fill out an application here. If you have any questions pertaining to your claim, please contact the help line at 877.813.0950.

  • Click here for frequently asked questions and answers about Tennessee Unemployment Insurance.

  • Click here for information about COVID-19 Unemployment for Employees.

  • For a list of local businesses that are open and hiring for immediate work, please click here and/or here.

  • Tennessee Talent Exchange, powered by Jobs4TN, is a new initiative to help you find work in the grocery, retail and logistics industry now. For more information or to apply, click here.

  • Martha O’Bryan Center’s Re-Engagement Hub offers online career coaching to help with resumes, job searching and interview skills. To connect with a Career Coach, please sign-up here.


Several utility companies and cities have temporarily suspended late fees, disconnects and/or evictions within their communities.


The Tennessee Public Utility Commission has ordered all private investor-owned natural gas, electric, water and wastewater utility companies to suspend the disconnection of services due to nonpayment during Tennessee’s state of emergency status. Click here for more information.


Metro Water has suspended cut-offs and will waive late fees for March. Metro Water Services customers who are experiencing financial hardship may request a payment plan for outstanding balances by calling 615.862.4600.

  • NES is suspending all power disconnections for non-payment until May 31. We encourage customers to pay by phone, by credit card or ACH transfer. NES is waiving late-fee charges and will absorb credit card fees on behalf of our customers until May 31. NES customers unable to pay over the phone by card or by check can pay their bill via drive-through at the Enbright Credit Union Donelson, located at 2340 Jackson Downs Blvd. The Enbright Credit Union drive-through is open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Follow the signs that lead you to the correct lane.

For more information on Metro Nashville utility services changes, click here.


  • Mobile Crisis Services is a 24/7/365 response team for those who are experiencing a mental health emergency. The statewide crisis line is a 24/7/365 call system to help anyone experiencing a mental health crisis. All calls are routed to a trained crisis specialist within your area. The service is free. Call 855.CRISIS1 (855.274.7471). If you or someone you love is in crisis and need to talk, call 1.800.273.8255 or text TN to 741-741.

  • Family and Children’s Service if you or someone you know is having a mental health crisis or needs another type of help, please contact the Family and Children's Service Crisis Line. Call 615.244.7444 or text 615.502.4373.

  • Alive Hospice please call the Alive Hospice trauma and grief hotline if you need support at 615.963.4732.

  • The Refuge Center for Counseling offers affordable, professional counseling services on a sliding fee scale so that anyone can access support. They are presently open and offering individual and family counseling appointments at their offices as well as telehealth options for services Monday through Saturday. To schedule an appointment, call 615.591.5262. For more information, click here.

  • Insight Counseling Centers is offering teletherapy on an income-based fee scale. Call 615.383.2115 ext. 100 to make an appointment.

  • Mental Health America of the MidSouth provides free mental health screening tools and resources for further treatment. Click here for more information.


  • YWCA Nashville provides trained counselors who can help you find shelter, develop a safety plan, connect you with law enforcement, or answer questions about your personal situation or that of a loved one. If you or someone you know is in need of assistance, please call the YWCA Crisis & Support Helpline at 1.800.334.4628 or texting at 615.983.5170.

  • Bridges Domestic Violence Center (Williamson County) can provide shelter and/or assistance if you need help leaving an abusive relationship. If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic violence, please call Bridges’ hotline at 615.599.5777. In an emergency, call 911.



  • FiftyForward can assist with food delivery, prescription assistance, case management and more for older adults in need of assistance. Please call FiftyForward at 615.743.3416.

  • The Council on Aging of Middle TN serves older adults and caregivers and can assist with providing trusted information, resource navigation and referrals for those in need of assistance. Please call 615.353.4235.


  • United Way’s Financial Empowerment Center is available to provide free financial counseling and resources to any Davidson County resident. To learn more click here. To schedule a phone appointment, call 615.748.3620 or visit FEC.Nashville.Gov.


  • Six Middle Tennessee YMCAs are offering childcare services to essential workers. Childcare hours are 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday. Breakfast, lunch and dinner is provided. Parents who are interested can register now with the YMCA.

  • Looking for childcare? Please visit Childcare Nashville. Click the “Search for Childcare” button on the top of the page and be sure to check the “Provider is Open and Providing Services” filter option. This will bring up all open childcare agencies in your area. Please note: Priority will be given to children of emergency workers.

  • Child Care Payment Assistance/Smart Steps: The Child Care Payment Assistance/Smart Steps program is available to qualifying families. Eligibility criteria and application information are available here. The Tennessee Department of Health Services strongly encourages applicants to apply online.


  • The Legal Aid Society is planning to hold all monthly free legal clinics over the phone due to the official recommendations in response to COVID-19. Local attorneys will offer advice on questions about housing and renters’ rights, bankruptcy, medical bills, debt collection, domestic violence, applying for SNAP benefits and applying for unemployment benefits. Click here for more information. If you know someone who needs legal help, please refer them to the Legal Aid Society at 1.800.238.1443.

Financial Covid
Food Covid
Shut Offs & Evictions
Mental Heath
Domestic Violence
Senior Citizens
Financial Couneling
bottom of page